***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday 5 September 2008

Summer Days :)



Hello girls - how are you, in fine fettle I hope? They say 'time flies when you are having fun' and oh boy, we certainly have had some of that these holidays :-)) I have not had time really, to call into blogland, as my feet have hardly touched the ground this summer. We have had many, many days out and trips away and seen some beautiful, interesting, exciting and varied places. We also had gorgeous, ah ha , yes gorgeous weather, right here in the UK, whilst we spent our main holiday time up in the NE of Scotland. It was a very welcome change after being drenched most every day at some point. My summer attire on an almost daily basis has been..... a snazzy new Pakamac that looks the shape of a supercool parka with a fish-tail back bit, a see through pink brolly and my lime green crocs (excellent for puddle splashing with 2 children) with my vintage look flowery bag, my aim was to look bright and cheerful even if the weather was not !!

I shall not bombard you with lots of holiday snaps (mainly because I kept forgetting to take my camera duhhh) but I did want to share a couple, this first one is actually a pretty famous hill right near where I live. It is called Roseberry Topping and is the funny shaped bump you can see in the middle distance. I love this view that is from Clay Bank carpark on the road to Bilsdale.



Photobucket


As usual I had big intentions to get 'lots' of stitching done, I have done something that might surprise you all and I shall show you on my next posting but make sure you are warned to sit down with a cup of tea ready for shock on that occasion LOL ;-))

In the mean time.....I have hummed and haa'd about showing you this other thing I made as coincidentally there are a few Tilda creations about just now! All I can say is we all have very good taste (us Tilda fans) and I have enjoyed seeing or should I say meeting ;-) various Bunnies and bears on blogs so decided you might like to meet my Florence too? Named after my Great Grandmother as she (the bunny) seemed to be very gentile and elegant, very much a lady :-)) I had the best fun creating my bunny, even more so with just a binding foot for the machine!! Those who have a machine will know this foot only has one side and is rubbish for going round corners with !! I guess my pesky DS or DD must have decided my straight sewing foot was a good one to pinch and hide as it is missing!! I did manage as you can see but what a fiddle on it was!! I got the fabrics in Durham and York and they go with my colours perfectly :-)) I changed the basic design of the clothes even though this was a bit ambitious but I wanted them to remove and I wanted to see the back of the little trousers. Every seam on the clothing is finished (no raw edges) as I would do for something I would wear so that it can be washed in the future and not drop to bits .



Photobucket


I found the little nose the most difficult part of all, too high she looked snooty and too low a bit unhappy, on my third time of trying I was happy to create a cute button nose. I used black beads for her eyes as it is for decoration , not a childs toy. I put a silk bow on the hat and used silk ribbon a little bit wider, for the ties on the apron. I was going to make her some flip flops and still will at some point but I just ran out of time and had to put my clutter away so we could have our dining room back.



Photobucket


I put one of the H.M (my real initials) vintage initial ribbon labels (that I got from my friend Colette) on the bottom of a trouser leg (top right piccy) and if you sneak a peek down her trousers (shhhh we won't tell her ;-) you can see she has a little bunny tail as no self respecting bunny should be without (bottom left piccy). This is the small rabbit/bunny from the 'Tilda' Spring book that must have been bought ooohh about 1 or 2 years ago . I have all my stock in for making the cute Tilda witch from the same book ready for Halloween including the crinkly wooly hair - we might see a few of these flying about the blogs too ? My DD has the Tilda cat on order from me - her very favourite one and DS wants the Tilda dog, so... I will do them when I get the new machine foot :-))



Photobucket



Being the summer I had my Birthday and thought I would show you this years cake my Mum (Veronica) made for me this time, I am very clever for 3 years old, am I not ? ;-)) Here too are the pretty flowers I got, roses and lillies :-))





I saw something a bit like this next creation in a shop by 'East of India', you might know of them? I decided to make my own with a few variations....I stuffed it completely with French Lavender that I got on my holiday in Wales from a fab French shop in Llandeilo. I added the lace to the roof to be the ridge tiles and a little silk bow also I made a different chinmey and hanger. I coffee dyed the whole thing (after stitching , before stuffing). It is pretty twee really , I suppose..... but sure smells good :-))


Photobucket



On the subject of Home Sweet Home I just have to share with you this picture I took in the pouring rain as you can see of some lucky persons 'Home Sweet Home' at a lovely place called Thornton Le Dale.



Photobucket


And what do we have here?? New shoes for DD and DS a sure sign that summer is about over, back to school and normality again this week ready for sitting stitching again on an evening as the nights close in :-))
Hope you enjoyed your summer too xx


Photobucket

40 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

It's so good to see you back, and I enjoyed your post and photos VERY much! I am happy you had such a pleasant summer! Where do I begin? The first photo is gorgeous and looks like green patchwork. Florence is wonderful especially with all of your touches made with TLC. Belated Happy Birthday. The cake and flowers are both gorgeous. Your Home Sweet Home is very sweet, and oh, I wish that was my house in the next photo! Wouldn't it be fun to live there and wander around outside all the time? Hope your children have a wonderful school year! Happy stitching!

6:27 am  
Blogger Annemarie said...

Amazing, Helen, the more you write and show, the more quiet I become. Speechless, really, at so much beauty.
And I can't beliiiiiiieve I forgot your birthday. I'm so sorry...

9:02 am  
Blogger Nicki said...

Lovely to see you post :) I just read every word - you do write so well. Florence is absolutely gorgeous! I love the fabrics you picked for her and the detail and effort is wonderful. Such a cute bunny nose. Lovely photos too - all of them. Even the new shoes. Back to school - a sure sign of autumn!

9:10 am  
Blogger Carol R said...

Great to see you back Helen - I haven't clicked on you for a week or so and click today and lo and behold you're there! Florence is stunning - I wish I could 'Tilda"!! Great cake - a belated Happy Birthday - nice flowers too. The lavender bag is sweet - I have lavender growing in my garden - I should have picked it before the rainy weather started! And thank you for taking a picture of my house (mmmnn - not really - but I can dream - lol)

9:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen !! How pleasant it is to read you again ! Thank you for this long post and all the nice pictures, as always ;-) can't resist the thatched cottage !!!

10:03 am  
Blogger Stitcher said...

I love Florence, great holiday pics too. Roseberry Topping, in my favourite area, and Thornton Dale, we often visit there, as it's only one hours drive. Hope you had a great time. Happy Belated Birthday.

11:32 am  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What a lovely post Helen...
I love your Bunny...what a fine lady she is...and a bit of a gardener I imagine?
That picture of the Thatched Roof Cottage...I think I must pinch that one...it is GORGEOUS and so reminds me of England - I was coming over there you know 9 years ago this summer, but found out I was pregnant with twins. It was going to be good great time my Mum and I was going to have eating fish and chips and scouring the countryside....ho hum...in my dreams I suppose...

1:10 pm  
Blogger Susimac said...

Florence is lovely and as always beautifully stitched and finished. I love your HSH house I can smell it from here - very pretty.

2:53 pm  
Blogger staci said...

Lovely post Helen and wonderful pics...where to begin? I'll dream of living in such a beautiful home with a thatched roof and gorgeous flowers along the river, it looks so blissful.

And your beautiful stitching and sewing always inspire me! I love the home sachet, so delicate and wonderful. And Florence is just as lovely as can be. Her face is so sweet and her attire impeccable.

Thank you for all the wonderful eye candy!!!

2:55 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Your pics are beautiful...love the bunny!!!

3:13 pm  
Blogger glamlawlib said...

Lovely post, you certainly have been busy and looks like you've had a great summer :)

Good luck to your children for their new school year! I used to love it when I got new shoes for school :)

5:24 pm  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

It is just wonderful seeing you here again! Have you ever had a wonderful summer! I didn't realize that you had been on holiday! I just love your little bunny!!!! You are just the best seamstress ever and this little bunny is just soooooooooooo cute!! I love your home sweet home too as well as the photos of everything here. I have missed seeing and hearing from you and am so glad to see you here! I am stitching on my Little House Neighborhood still. Have a wonderful day and I hope to hear from you very soon!!

Hugs

7:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture of Roseberry Topping - that brought back memories of my trip to England a couple of years back - we went to a great restaurant just near there with my parents, and all my aunts & uncles. It was wonderful.

Florence is adorable. After seeing the bunnies on your sister's blog yesterday, I immediately went to amazon.com, and added all the Tilda books they had to my wish list!

Welcome back!

3:28 pm  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

You and your family have received an overabundance of talent, I believe! Helen, these pictures are just stunning. You create things of such beauty.

I'm glad you enjoyed a nice summer. Sorry to have missed your birthday.

Wishing you a great autumn! :D

9:14 pm  
Blogger Karoline said...

Good to see you 'back' Helen Florence is gorgeous and so is your House.

9:39 am  
Blogger Lennu said...

Oh how wonderful to hear from you again dear Helen!! So many beautiful photos, I so much enjoyed reading your post again :)

You've done wonderful job with Florence, she's so beautiful!! You're so talented with the sewing machine too :) Your Home Sweet Home ornament is gorgeous too, so pretty!

4:46 pm  
Blogger Rachel V said...

What a cozy, warm, and lovely post you have made us, Helen! Welcome Home and happy birthday a bit late. The cake your mum made is so pretty, I think your love of beauty comes quite naturally! Can I please live in that sweet English cottage!! What a fantasy. :) I hope the kids' return to school goes smoothly.

12:02 am  
Blogger samplerlover said...

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding my blog.
I have enjoyed yours for quite a long time.
I love your rabbit. She is beautiful.
I also love the photo of the thatched cottage. Wouldn't it be lovely to live there. To me it is a typical English cottage. Gorgeous. = Sandra.

12:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen your pictures are beautiful.
Happy Birthday for your 3 years old :-))) happy to read you again.

7:30 am  
Blogger CJ in OK ;-) said...

Just love your prim little Florence bunny. Thank you for all the pictures, even the one of the new shoes, made me miss those days when mine were little. Happy Stitching, CJ(ok;-)

5:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to have you back after the holidays. I visit often but usually lurk without commenting. But this time I couldn't help myself - I'm also a fan of Tilda and have some of the books. I really love your Florence Bunny and am now inspired to create my own. Happy stitching, Tina D.

4:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Tilda bunny is sooooooooo nice !!! I adore it !

6:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya great to see you back.. you sure have been busy i love your picts they are all fab.. the cake and flowers are gorgeous happy birthday.. i wish i was three again lol.. florence is absolutely gorgoeus i would love to make this.. have to get the pattern at some point.. she is so cute. the lavender bag is sweet.. and that cottage wow... i wish one could dream i would love to leave there.. are you having a comp to win it lol giveaway hahahha

7:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back - great photos of everything, and wonderful write-up ... and that bunny is just gorgeous :)

10:10 pm  
Blogger Ginte said...

Oh, wow! What a Home Sweet Home! Amazing!

8:26 am  
Blogger Joy said...

It is so nice to see you back, Helen! Reading your posts is like curling up with a good book ~ only better because of the wonderful photos. I never want the post to end!

3:48 pm  
Blogger Solstitches said...

How sweet the little Tilda bunny is. Beautifully made with such attention to detail right down to the label on her clothing.
I love the little home sweet home ornament also.

5:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to see you back!!! And lovely to see such beautiful pictures from you!!!!
The bunny is so cute... nice work!

8:42 pm  
Blogger Hearty Bakes said...

Beautiful work and great pictures shared as always~
Lovely tilda bunny, Home Sweet Home is such a beautiful piece to hang at home!
thanks for sharing~

3:52 am  
Blogger flom said...

Happy to read you again !!!
Your Tilda bunny is so cut !
be careful to the tilda addict !
a bientôt
flo

12:39 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

Your Tilda bunny is just adorable! Lovely pictures and your stitching is beautiful as always!

7:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you beautiful photos!!!
I like Tilda bunny,too!Your bunny's face is so cu====te!!very pretty!!
And your home sweet home,too!

3:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen,
I have read your entire blog - loved every bit! You have lovely
stitching!! I also love your posts
about your travels and the photos.
It is all very interesting. I do not have a blog but love to stitch
and read others' blogs around the
world. I live in Georgia, USA. We do not have many needlework shops in our area and I am envious
of all those shown in your photos!
I see that you haven't written
in over a month. I hope all is well and that you will be back
very soon.
Wishing you lots of time to stitch,
Denise

3:27 am  
Blogger Karin said...

You take such gorgeous pictures! It looks like you have been busy lately.

12:05 pm  
Blogger Yuko said...

Hi Helen,
Your Tilda bunny is looking so pretty!!
You have so many talents!
And thanks for sharing such beautiful photos, I love to see the scenes in Europe!
Take care!

11:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is delightful, thanks

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adorable Tilda Helen. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Happy New Year.

Heather

11:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rabbit is so cute !
congratulations !

4:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love to see your blog!!
_______________________________
Cross stitch

1:56 am  
Blogger Margaret said...

Although you haven't blogged for a long time (is this due to the wrist problems I detected on a recent picture on your sister's blog?) your's is a favorite of mine. You have a wonderful way of writing Helen and always have such lovely projects & pictures.

From me to you - the 'Kreativ Blogger' award. You deserve it!!

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger