***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday 20 July 2007

End of term



I was busy yesterday making these two gift bags for my childrens teachers, they are a mix of machine sewing and alot of handstitching. The one you can see below is made with one-off hand-dyed linen from Kates Kloths, lined with Laura Ashley silk. It has a cotton lace trimmed silk cuff chosen by my little DS, handmade and carved/etched flower abalone shell buttons to attach the strap. Also handmade by me with DS's help, a corsage pin that has a velvet flower, beads, silk ribbon, chiffon ribbon and lace trim. I like corsages/fancy bits and drool over the bags in Monsoon Accessorize.




The next bag is made from Lene Bjerre very muted fabric in a soft beige with grey flowers. I added the stripe ribbon which is made from silk and linen to the centre panel. This bag is also lined with silk with a cuff trimmed with lace that my DD chose for the embelishment, it is actually a cotton lace and is not shiny at all! The handle on this bag was attached from the inside and is made from linen and silk ribbon. These silk/linen ribbons are gorgeous, I got them in York a couple of days ago but they are actually French.




Last picture is to show the corsage decoration I made for the bag. This picture was a rushed one this morning but does show a much better colour representation. For this decoration I used very thin black gingham ribbon and silk ribbon for the tails, I ruched a bit of cotton lace added a handmade fancy button then a little silver dangly charm saying 'Love' that my DD had chosen for this.




My photos really do not do these justice at all as the colours are much, much better IRL as I did not have time to mess about photographing and getting a good capture of the colours ;-) I was up until nearly 2am last night finishing them off so they would be ready for this morning :-)) Each bag contains a little treat and I very much hope they are going to be loved as they took a surprising amount of time to do really and I fancied keeping them ;-)) These are the first non cross-stitch bags I have made and felt quite pleased with what I came up with in the end from a few ideas in my head.

Once again thanks for visiting and I hope you all have a great weekend, today is one of my favourite days of the year, (Summer holidays starting .....yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;-))

30 Comments:

Blogger Susimac said...

These are really lovely Helen, I know they will be loved and you would never know that they are your firsts. - Gorgeous.

1:11 pm  
Blogger ollie1976 said...

great bags!
-Jen

1:29 pm  
Blogger Barbara J said...

What delicate bags! So victorian too, really nice!

1:57 pm  
Blogger sammyjo said...

i love the bags their really good. i think i would have trouble giving them up to.

2:18 pm  
Blogger Nancy said...

The bags are so beautiful, and I'm sure they will be treasured. I love all the details you have put into them. I think you have found another talent that you have!

2:53 pm  
Blogger Hazel said...

Very gorgeous and so well made. You are very clever. xx

4:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're so clever, Helen !
both bags are elegant and I'm sure teachers will be thrilled :))

4:28 pm  
Blogger tintocktap said...

What beautiful gifts - they really are gorgeous! (And I'm very jealous!)

4:31 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

Your bags are stunning! Lucky teacher's.

6:54 pm  
Blogger Carla said...

those bags are gorgeous!!! they look very delicate...you did a wonderful job!!

6:56 pm  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Lovely gifts, Helen. I am sure the recipients will be thrilled. Just beautiful :)

I wanted to thank you so much for your continued concern over me. I too wish the headaches would go away. Today's is pretty rough :( Thanks for being so sweet :)
((((hugs))))

Have a lovely weekend!

7:03 pm  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Oh my goodness, Helen, these are just breath-taking!

Do your kids need a summer tutor in anything? LOL!!

8:31 pm  
Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Those bags are so lovely but then again so is all you do!

11:43 pm  
Blogger staci said...

What beautiful bags!!! What a treasure for your children's teachers :)

4:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bags are so beautiful waowww.
I wish you very good holidays

7:07 am  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Exquisite gifts... I can well understand why you wanted to keep them!!

9:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are both stunning! I understand why you wanted to keep them, I am lusting after them myself!
Just beautiful! Enjoy the summer hoildays!

10:54 am  
Blogger Amy said...

I love the bags you made my teacher loVED hers she was sooOOOOO happy that she had got something hand made by you.
Thay are lovly thay are realy special.

amylou xx

6:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful bags Helen and I'm sure the teachers loved them.

How old is your son?

10:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...beautiful ba...great work...i just loved it

12:04 pm  
Blogger Sally said...

Both bags are gorgeous Helen. I bet the teachers loved them. I have missed stitching presents for teachers this year now that my youngest daughter is at secondary school.

Thank you so much for the comments on my blog. It's quite spooky really as I spent a while yesterday looking through your blog:) I am a regular visitor to Su's blog and I hope it will be OK to visit yours too. Since writing the post that you commented on I have been feeling better about myself and my finishing:) I have just stitched what will be a stitcher's pocket for a friend's birthday and I am going to attempt making it up this afternoon:) Wish me luck! Lol!

12:48 pm  
Blogger Patricia Lessell said...

They are just absolutely gorgeous and it is not surprising that Amy-Lou's teacher loved hers and I bet your son's teacher loved hers too.

12:48 pm  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Both of the bags are gorgeous. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with them, as well as totally surprised that you would take that much time and trouble to make them just for them.
Sue

3:34 pm  
Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

Congratulations! Your children's teachers are so lucky!!

3:54 pm  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Wow, what beautiful bags. Such a great idea for teacher gifts. I have to agree with you about the bags in monsoon accessorize!

5:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are wonderful !! Congratulations !

3:57 pm  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Your little handmade bag is just so pretty Helen!! I do wish I had your talents for finishing!! You did just a splendid job!! I am on to my next state model Ugh!! I ordered Harbour Village and can hardly wait for it to come. I still want to do my LHN Designs too. I will be ever so glad to have these models finished! Your work is really wonderful!! Debby :)

10:33 pm  
Blogger Von said...

Oh, Helen, your little bags are so pretty! I'm sure the teachers are thrilled to receive such a fabulous thank you. :)

2:10 am  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi, Helen! Lovely bags!! My daughter is a teacher, and I can tell you first hand who very much she adores getting these type of gifts from her children. She would abosolutely faint over yours!! Good work...Love,
Deb

9:51 pm  
Blogger Georgie said...

Your bags are just gorgeous! The teachers are so lucky!

5:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger