***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday 17 June 2007

Scissor Fob Exchange for Marie



I took part in a Scissor Fob exchange from the FGBB which is another lovely BB ran by Becky. This is not primarily an exchange BB but some of us thought it would be fun to do a few little exchanges :) I was given Marie's name so, in my secret detective work ;-) I found out she was very fond of small count linen. I decided to stitch this little French design ' Corbeille' by Alphabets that I had got a good while ago from my friend in a trade.

Close Up


I stitched it on Antique White 40ct linen as these tiny designs call for and used Anchor 45 for the red. I liked this gingham ribbon as the hanger because the colour was a perfect match to this shade thread. As you can see here below, I added a little bit of decoration to the ribbons base with these beads. The black scissors you can see are what I sent with the fob, I got these on a trip out to Whitby as they looked a very antique style and I loved the black contrast to the red :)

Bead Decoration


For the back I just simply stitched both our initials...

The Reverse


I have been busy with lots of lovely things IRL since my last posting and amongst this a visit to Scotland visiting DH's family for part of the the Whitsun Holidays. On our way home we called into The Bowes Museum. You can go to the website to read all about if it interests you :)

The Bowes Museum - County Durham


One of the 'Special' highlights of this museum is this Silver Swan which moves mechanically to collect a silver fish from the water which is actually rotating glass rods. It is lifesize and very beautiful and graceful to see. When our family visited here when I was a child you could put a coin in yourself to make it move. However, now it is so old (unlike me ;-) and delicate they do this only twice a day to help preserve the mechanics.

The Silver Swan


I was hoping we would time it right for the big textile display but sadly this event had moved on. There is a constant display of some textiles in amongst these I saw this beauty. It is even more incredible as it was stitched by a young girl from the very place itself 'Barnard Castle'. I asked permission to take the pictures and was told I could take a few of my favourite things up to a maximun of 6. So I tried to get the ones I thought might interest you as well :)

An Antique Sampler


There is a lace display, I am sorry I have forgotten the exact details and there is only so much I could read with 2 little ones pulling at me to move on ;-) you will just have to take my word for it that it was all very beautiful and very old!

Old Lace


This next one is the only other cross stitched piece I saw this must have been done as a seat cover. Sorry for the flash marks on the pics but as you will imagine they were all behind glass.

Cross Stitched Seat Cover


Lastly I had to show you this bed, it is the owners original as many of the items in the collection but it has the highest bed canopy, ( if that is what you would call it) that I have ever seen. If you click the picture you will see all the beautiful colours and detail in this silk brocade which is quite a marvel for how old it is. Not that I would like to sleep in it ...I much prefer my own and wouldn't sleep for thinking all that would go and fall on my head in the night ;-))

Bedroom


I know this posting is rather big but I want to say my thank-you's...my first one is a great big THANK-YOU again to Deb 'Lavender Rose' for the HUGE total surprise RAK she sent me along with a lovely letter because she enjoys my blog and my stitching choices so much :))))) I am so delighted and touched at your kindness to me, you are one very lovely lady who is extremely generous with a VERY big heart. I will enjoy using my new threads Deb :)

I would like to thank-you all who have been so kind to take the time to comment on my DD Amy's blog, she has read them all and is so encouraged, it is brilliant to see :-)) As always I love the see and hear from you and thank-you for visiting my blog too :-))

Lastly I have done the class tutorial on Focus on Finishing this month, it is for a 'No Sew' Wallhanging. If you are interested... you might like to check it out and bookmark it, or even better have a go ;-))

See you again soon, take care and happy stitching:)

45 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This tiny fob is so cute ! and your pictures are fantastic !

1:39 pm  
Blogger Andrea said...

Lovely fob. I have enjoyed reading about Bowes Museum too. Fascinating.

1:59 pm  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Helen, that fob is masterful! Over-one on 40 count?! Yikes!

Your pictures of the Bowes Museum exhibits are grand. That lace is just amazing. I used to have a friend who tatted and I loved to watch her at it. It was such a mystifying process to me. ;)

And once again, your no-sew wallhanging tutorial was brilliant!

2:33 pm  
Blogger Hazel said...

Beautiful fob and what an interesting museum. xx

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little fob! Where did you get the ribbon from, if you don't mind my asking? I've looked for gingham ribbon locally but in vain.

Your trip to Bowes Museum sounds fascinating - thanks for sharing your lovely pictures!

3:13 pm  
Blogger Karoline said...

What a lovely fob, congratulations

The Bowes museum looks wonderful, I'll have to add it to the list of places to visit next time we head in that direction

3:46 pm  
Blogger Susimac said...

Your fob is gorgeous, I love your little touches on it.

Oh memories of us as kids going to Bowes on wet Sunday's, and us all getting squashed trying to see the swan move. I still love Bowes now and keep promising to myself that I'll get Mark to take me there again when we come over the N.E.

4:23 pm  
Blogger Carla said...

Cute fob! Congratulations :)

5:16 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

On my one trip to London, many long years ago, I spent hours at the V&A and British Museum drooling over the clothes and stitching from ages past. I am so envious that you get to do this on a regular basis! I love where I live, but I must say, the UK is so blessed to have so many wonderful museums! One of these days I hope to make it back and spend many more pleasurable hours in the exhibits! Thanks for posting the pictures!

5:31 pm  
Blogger Chelle said...

The little fob is absolutely gorgeous! The ribbon and scissors are perfect, as is your finishing. What a wonderful exchange!

Thanks for sharing the pics from the museum. WOW!

7:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank-you for the pictures from the Bowes Museum
i also love your fob : red, French design and the ribbon you choosed ;o)
big hugs

9:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that scissor fob - it is perfection!!! From the gingham ribbon to the beads - very nice :)

11:21 pm  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Beautiful pictures, I enjoyed seeing some of the lovely items that you saw. Also, your fob turned out so pretty, what a lovely exchange to give.
Sue

12:43 am  
Blogger Deb said...

Thank you for the great pictures. I love that swan!
Your fobbie is so pretty. It looks so sweet on the little figure!! :))

Hugs,
Deb

2:03 am  
Blogger Barbara J said...

That's a very delicate fob! So much details in such a tiny space!

Thanks for the tour of the museum . So many lovely items.

3:07 am  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Lovely fob! Great pictures from your trip...never been there....looks v.interesting!

1:05 pm  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

The fob to Marie is simply stunning as always :) You do such superb work!!!
Amy's blog is just a wealth of cute-ness! Katie and I've read through it and Katie's really working on the exchange :)
Your pictures from the museum are great...the swan is gorgeous, I agree about the bed! LOL! and the stitching lovlies... oh my!! Your tutorial was perfection, I'm going to try that soon!

2:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute fob!!! You're right, the scissors go so well with the red and white, lovely :)

3:38 pm  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Your fob is just perfect and boy did Marie like it :) VERY nice exchange my friend!

Love all your pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.

4:45 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

Your scissor fob for Marie is just exquisite! So tiny, I don't know how you did it!

4:46 pm  
Blogger Nancy said...

What a lovely scissor fob, and I love everything about it - the design, gingham ribbon, and the bead trim. It's beautiful!

I also enjoyed your photos from the museum. Aren't vintage textiles amazing?

Nancy

5:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVEEEE your scissor fob ! It was certainly well appreciated ! And thanks for the nice pictures :D

7:08 pm  
Blogger Kristen said...

Your fob is just gorgeous! I especially love the gingham ribbon.

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely fob

9:35 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

I love that fob, it is so beautiful! And the ribbon and scissors match it perfectly. The Bowes Museum is just beautiful, thank you for sharing the photos. I hope I can visit it someday, wow. That bed is extravagant, I am like you, I’d be worried about being buried by all of that fabric too! :D

10:57 pm  
Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

The fob is adorable!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures from that lovely museum! I should make a trip there next time I visit my relatives in the UK.

3:08 am  
Blogger Carol said...

That is a really gorgeous fob! I love the over one on 40 ct - you rock!!

4:29 am  
Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That fob is so lovely! And I really enjoyed all the pictures from the museum! Thanks!

5:01 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

The fob is beautiful! I love the gingham ribbon you used for it. Thanks for sharing the museum photos, I would love to see that swan moving - what fun!

5:00 pm  
Blogger Marie said...

Helen, Thanks again for the wonderful FOB and extras. Your stitching is beautiful as is your photography ~ nice job.
I have my new tiny FOB here with me in Vermont and I cherish it!

6:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fob is so lovely and this museum seems so beautiful...

7:27 pm  
Blogger Wendy said...

Your treasures are always so inspiring, Helen! And they are treasures!!

9:47 pm  
Blogger Cathy B said...

Very cute fob and great photo of it! Lucky Marie!

4:46 am  
Blogger NIKY said...

great job for your scissor fob and wonderfull pictures too, lucky you !

10:30 pm  
Blogger Von said...

It's always such a pleasure to stop by for a short visit with you, Helen! Your stitching projects continually delight. :)
Thanks too for the wonderful photos of the interesting items at the museum!

7:05 am  
Blogger Sachiko said...

Cute fob!Nice finish!

This museum ...beautiful!!

3:37 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

I love the antique sampler pic.

9:35 pm  
Blogger Margaret said...

Like I wrote on Su's blog - your posts always call for a cup of coffee so I can sit and drink in all you write & show. You are such talented ladies!!

The fob for Marie is an absolute treasure. You inspire me to try my hand at it.

Lovely museum pictures. It must have been a wonderful visit.

Congrats on your dad's birthday and have an amazing family weekend.

6:02 pm  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

that fob is just amazing!

1:12 am  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Oh Helen, your scissor fob is just really gorgeous!! I love the red as it is my favorite color! You did such a splendid job on it too! Thank you for sharing the neat pictures with us too!! It must have been such a great trip that you took to see your DH's family! Lastly, Focus on Finishing is such a neat thing since I don't have the finishing skills I would like to have. That is really a good thing! Happy Stitching!

Debby :)

3:30 am  
Blogger Rachel V said...

Helen, you did such a beautiful, delicate job on Marie's fob! I love it! I just love that verse on the antique sampler, so precious and dear.

11:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum's name was Ann Gibson before she married dad, but this was NOT done by her! A lovely post Helen!

1:52 pm  
Blogger sammyjo said...

I've been to this museum, is'nt it wonderful the place is so lovly i went to attend a photography class there last year. The fob is lovly.

sammyjo

1:54 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Your scissor fob is really a treasure. I was stunned to see you had visited the Bowes museum - I live 4 miles away from Barnard Castle, and often go to concerts and events there. Glad to see you had such a great time. They do have some truely wonderful exhibitions.

4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This scissor exchange is very beautiful !

4:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger