***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday 27 February 2007

Christmas SAL weekend...

As most of you know the last weekend of the month is chosen for the Christmas Ornament SAL, I really liked the idea of this, as many of you do. As it will be great to 'be prepared' in advance, even in a small way, for Christmas, as it is such a busy time. I also like the idea that there is no pressure to join in every month, months you can, you do, and if you can't, no hard feelings :-)) Now, to let you know my secret ;-)...as I am so keen to have some stitched ornaments I have joined not one, but two ornament SAL's :-)) One is with a French lady Anne (Tempus Fugit) who had the bright idea herself, go take a look at what our French friends are doing :-)) The other is being ran by the ladies Nicki and AnneS who have this blog for it. I do propose (to myself at least) on some months, if I can, to actually stitch 2 ornaments...one for each SAL, however, for this month I have only got one done so it will be for both SAL's. I suppose it really doesn't matter and I love the idea that alot of us stitchers worldwide are doing the same sort of thing at roughly the same time. Our needles should be smoking with all going at once...lol...beware of the ozone and global warming my friends!!

Blackbird Designs 'Candy Cane Stocking'


Now to let you know what I have done...the above picture is my finish of Blackbird Designs 'Candy Cane Stocking' from the JCS Christmas Ornaments magazine 2003. I had none of the stated supplies and not much chance of getting the right ones quickly, so I improvised. I have used a pretty 'denim blue colour' cut of 32ct evenweave I had got from The Country Cross Stitcher in Woburn a few years ago. For the threads, I used a mixture to tone in with the blue fabric they are, DMC Linen Thread L3012 for the green, Carrie's Creations 'Garnet' for the red and ??? either Oatmeal or Straw Bonnet for the white by The Gentle Art or GAST. I will check tomorrow which one it was for sure.

The picture below is a close-up of the fabric and lace that I used for the finishing, both the fabric for the cuff of the stocking and the back of it are by Lene Bjerre. I only have small pieces of Lene Bjerre fabrics so I was delighted that I could use some on this and that it was big enough :-))

Lace


I had got this gorgeous length of cotton ribbon attached to the label of a pair of jeans I recently bought (yes, I liked the jeans as well...lol) and it was a perfect colour to go with this. To bring the colours together I decided to use 'couch stitch' to attach the ribbon using the green linen thread. I do not like the linen threads as it (mine) kept disintegrating but maybe it was with it going through a fabric and it goes all fuzzy and wierd when doing XXX's with it ? I was really pleased with how this looked and still had some of my ribbon left, so, I went on a hunt through my things...

Ribbon


I found a small 'Mill Hill' red heart that was a great colour match to the Garnet thread and have used that to attach the hanger. I also re-found this lovely heart charm I had, that I got from a Needlework show from one of my favourite stalls, they have a website now and are called 'Nostalgia' . They sell beautiful things and gorgeous French ribbons like I used on my Wabbit needlecase. Go take a look...I love it, all very pretty and feminine... but not yet, I will put the link at the bottom ;-)

Charms and Beads


I used some red beads I had to make a berry cluster at the top of the heart charm and to finish the hanger tails, you can also see the whole of the Lene Bjerre fabric I used for the reverse side. This was a tricky little thing to sew to get the foot part to be a nice shape, I did use my sewing machine for this and it was tough turning it the right way so the stitched part did not give way and fray...what a nightmare that would have been !! As you can see, it didn't and I am very pleased with the result both front and back .

Reverse of my Stocking


I did not have alot of time to stitch last week (when do I ever) but I did advance with my SAL on BD GOL this here is showing my Part 2. I have a got quite far with Part 3 over the last week and will show that when it is done. I am not sure if I will like the Blackbird on this for me. I do like the Smyrna's for his wings but I am not sure?? so, I may do something else in the garden, again it will depend on what time I have. You can go here to view the SAl album for this :)

Blackbird Designs 'Garden of Life' Part 2


Here is my last picture...as you all breath a sigh of relief...remember I said I had stitched something I was going to finish into a different finish for me? Well, this was the start...can you guess what it is? This is my first go of stitching 'in hand' on this piece, it feels very strange to do that. I still have all the back to do when I have done Part 3 of GOL. I'm being very good at the moment although I must say, I am itching for a change, me of little patience ;-)

What's this???


Finally, Veronica (my Mum) thanks you all for the wonderful comments on her fob to me, she can't believe it and you have all made her week as you do mine. Here is the link to Nostalgia...hide your purse before looking...lol ;-)

Enjoy your week everyone and I will 'see' you again soon.

P.S. Edits were to make sure the links worked ;-)
Helen

31 Comments:

Blogger Barbara J said...

That's such a lovely Christmas sock and so so creative! You've put so much love into it. And the BD SAL is going fine.

2:20 am  
Blogger Katrina said...

The stocking is absolutely gorgeous. You do such a beautiful job of finishing.

2:30 am  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Gorgeous, Helen!!

GOL looks great!

2:55 am  
Blogger CJ in OK ;-) said...

This little stocking ornament is lovely and I like hearing all the details of your finish. Happy Stitching, CJ

4:42 am  
Blogger Nicki said...

I love the stocking! So much detail and thank you for all the pictures :) You put so much love and effort into your finishing - it puts me to shame :) Gorgeous work!

5:33 am  
Blogger Von said...

Your attention to detail in every aspect of a project really set you apart, Helen! Well, actually that can be said of your mom and sister too. Talk about positive family traits! :D

5:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cany Cane stocking is too cute!!
It is so much fun following everone's progress on GOL!! Yours is looking good!

6:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous sock ! I LOVE the lace cuff, it is so unique ! Makes me want to do something similar in the future ;-) very nice finishing !! thank you for all the details, I really enjoy reading your blog :-)

7:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, what a beautiful stocking and I love all your finishing ideas. Congratulations!!
I am a first time poster to your blog but have been reading and enjoying it for some time. You do beautiful work :)

7:54 am  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Oh my heavens, Lena-lou. That is a masterpiece. An heirloom. A true artistic achievement. WOW! I love it!!

Your SAL looks gorgeous, too. :)

8:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your stocking is just gorgeous Helen! I love the detail that you add to your finishing, it really makes a difference - great job!

Lovely progress on GoL too!

Thanks for the link to Nostalgia - I'll pop over in a bit ;)

8:20 am  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

You made such a sweet stocking!! Great job, Lena :)

8:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely design and what a beautiful finishing you make. I love it

9:09 am  
Blogger Karoline said...

Gorgeous ornie Helen and great progress on GoL

11:20 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my... the finishing is just gorgeous!

12:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely finish! Congratulations!

12:15 pm  
Blogger Carla said...

Your stocking is gorgeous!!! I like everything about it ...Congratulations!!!

3:59 pm  
Blogger Susimac said...

Your stocking is so lovely Helen I love the finishing.

4:29 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Beautiful stockings....All the little details are so cute!

4:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just breathtaking! What a beautiful handmade heirloom.

6:09 pm  
Blogger Deanne J said...

Your stocking is amazing!!!

Great progress on the other stitching.

8:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's this ???
this is a red cross stich line, then above, other stitches in variageted pink

love your sock, a bit small for my foot ... lol
love also your Go, a bit in late, dear Helen ... i'm looking forward seeing your third part with or whithout bird and its lovely smyrna wings :DDD

9:54 pm  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Helen, your sock is really pretty!! It looks like you have been very busy!!! I also like your Blackbird design too. I am anxious to see the changes that you make! Debby :)

5:17 am  
Blogger Wendy said...

Your work is always so inspiring! And I am so impressed with all the attention to detail you give your finishing. It looks spectacular!

1:16 pm  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

WOW! You have done such lovely detailed work...that stocking is simply gorgeous! I get such inspiration from you...honestly!

I love everything and have been anxiously frothing at the mouth to see what you've been up to recently :)

Great job!

5:46 pm  
Blogger Carol said...

You did such a gorgeous job on your stocking ornament!

7:58 pm  
Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

myt, my dear sweetie pea but you are a busy girl with all that stitching. lovely work it is too.

12:08 am  
Blogger Chelle said...

The Christmas stocking is simply incredible. Thank you for the pictures from all angles and the back. Your attention to detail is what sets your projects apart. This is a perfect example! Thanks for sharing.

3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your decorated sock is a real treasure ! each detail is so pretty.
Dear Helen, about the question you asked me about the material with the cherub, I can tell you that the store in France closed...I am so desappointed ! But, contact me to give me your address and I can send you a piece...
My e mail :
auboutdesdoigts@wanadoo.fr
Pascale

9:19 am  
Blogger Meari said...

Stocking is really cute!

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your stocking is simply WON-DER-FUL !!!! It's so nice and well finished !!! I will have to go back in my JCS ornement mag of 2003 ! :-)
Congratulations ! I will continue my visit in your nice blog !

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger