***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday 18 January 2007

Winter Quaker Exchange

I saw on the BB today that my 'Winter Quaker' exchange had reached its destination which is always a relief :-)) This is what I stitched for Veronica on our theme of blue and white. It is The Needleworkers Pocket by designer Ellen Chester 'With My Needle' from the JCS 2003 Ornament magazine. I used antique white 32ct linen and an Anchor thread 921 as that shade of blue was very much like a denim blue...seen as I love the colour of my jeans :-) I had also figured that with Veronica being a Spanish American she might like quite a strong colour.

The front of the pocket


I loved stitching this quaker design but I did especially love doing the finishing as I had never made anything like this before. It was quite a challenge but to be honest I like to challenge myself and I like to try to improve my skills. I got some lovely striped, faded denim blue and white fabric in a soft cotton for the lining, the day I was in York, from The Viking Loom. I had also got some blue silk for this but the stripe fabric looked better with it :-) This was made as the finishing instructions with the 'warm and natural' batting inside the layers to give it a slightly padded look. It took time in trying to get the measurements spot on so that with 8 layers in total, 4 each side, it laid nice and smooth and not wrinkled as it has no card or board in it for stiffening. For the back I kept it simple and personalised it with our initials and the year.

The back of the pocket


I made my own cording using the same 921 colour thread that it was stitched with, as I have no special tool, I do this by knotting my lengths together at one end then putting it on my curtain tie-back hook and then twist and twist and twist...

This is the second try I have had at making a tassel and feel I have improved on this. I got a little tip from a friend ;-) so thanks for that :-) The trick here was to try to get two matching ones....hmmmmm... this took a good bit of time and fiddling about but luckily I managed :-)

My tassel


I completely hand-sewed the whole thing from start to finish...so now you know what finish took me from the morning until the night to do. I really fancy to make myself something with this finish at some point :-)





Hope you all have a nice weekend with lots of happy stitching time ;-)

See you soon and I will catch up with all your blogs in the near future, I think I am in this year now...!!

34 Comments:

Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Very Nice! It's a beautiful shade of blue and the finish is pure genius!
:)

12:06 am  
Blogger BeckySC said...

As you already know from the board....I think this is GORGEOUS!
What a wonderful exchange to receive....I KNOW Veronica must be thrilled! VERY nice work :)

3:24 am  
Blogger Carol said...

That's just gorgeous Helen!

6:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous Helen! The finishing looks so professional - how did you get your tassels so even at the ends? That's the bit I hate. I love the colour you chose too - it's really pretty :)

7:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen, your ornament is so refined ! I LOVE the colour you used and I've just check my stash : I do have that 921 !!!! ;-)) makes me feel relieved, imagine if I hadn't had this gorgeous colour !!! LOL !
As for your finishing, I am impressed !! It is flawless, perfect, neat ! your cording is spectacular and your tassels are so nicely combed ;-))))
Veronica is a lucky girl !!
I just love your blog :-) but that is no surprise !

7:56 am  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

That is so pretty... so delicate, as always Helen! :)

9:42 am  
Blogger Annemarie said...

I have decided not to comment on your finishes anymore, because words fail me every time. Therefore, on to more practical matters: if you have no-one to help you twist a cord, use your hand mixer! That's all I ever use it for anyway...

10:15 am  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Wow, Lena-lou, that is some seriously impressive finishing!!! I love this design (did it for an exchange too, in red) but your finishing just knocks my socks off!

10:20 am  
Blogger Anne S said...

WOW, your exchange pocket is absolutely exquisite! You really do stunning work, and your finishes always look perfect! :D Just gorgeous :D

11:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous, I love how you finished it!

12:33 pm  
Blogger Katrina said...

It really is gorgeous, I love your finishing and your tassles are perfect :-).

12:48 pm  
Blogger Susimac said...

Oh WOW - - I'm speechless!! Will you do me one Pleeeease - I promise I won't boss you around for a whole year!! LOL!!

2:13 pm  
Blogger Karoline said...

What a gorgeous exchange, congratulations Helen

2:37 pm  
Blogger Chelle said...

Gorgeous finish! The tassels are perfection.

2:53 pm  
Blogger glamlawlib said...

What more can I add, this is beautiful, you must have had to take deep breaths when sending it away ;) your exchange partner is very lucky.

3:40 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

That is really lovely. Thanks for all the tips on cording and tassle making!!!

3:45 pm  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Your needleworker's pocket turned our gorgeous, I love the color. You did a fantastic job on the finishing too. Congrations on such a lovely finish.
Sue

1:07 am  
Blogger Von said...

Very clever, Helen, and expertly executed! :)

6:09 am  
Blogger Karin said...

I love the pocket - you did a great job finishing it!

6:52 pm  
Blogger CJ in OK ;-) said...

Your finish is just grand. Both the stitching and the finishing came out great. I may try this style some day too. Congrats. CJ

11:35 pm  
Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Lovely as always! You did such a wonderful job!

3:31 am  
Blogger Leeland said...

A delicate and lovely work, as always indeed!
Take care, Lena Lou!

8:41 am  
Blogger Nicki said...

Perfect! It really is gorgeous - so delicate and pretty but simple too. A great job :)

2:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this blue is very delicate
lovely work as always and perfectly finishing ...

6:47 pm  
Blogger Wendy said...

Gorgeous! An entire day to finish this one doesn't surprise me, it really shows! Your work is absolutely exquisite - both stitching and finishing!

1:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a tremendous finishing job, you may be proud of yourself, your tassels are perfect !! congratulations, (and I love this blue colour)
hugs
argone
http://argone.over-blog.com

5:46 pm  
Blogger Renee said...

This needlework pocket is really lovely and the neat finishing is a great success. I always make my tassels, but like you I have no tool for that, and my own tassels are not so nice as yours.

9:30 am  
Blogger Carol said...

Hi Stranger - just wondering how you are doing - haven't heard from you or Amy in ages :-)

2:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Your tassels and cording are perfect..I just cannot seem to get the hang of cording...I need to fly over for a lesson... ;) Very nice result!
XXXX
Cari

2:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! What a beautiful little pocket. The colour is lovely and those tassels are gorgeous. I love the sound of the lining fabric you chose too. Congratulations. Oh, and your blog is lovely too :)

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. Love the colour, the tassels and the lining fabric sounds nice too.
Congratulations on this beautiful stitching.

9:58 pm  
Blogger catandturtle said...

Your pocket is just gorgeous. The finishing is very impressive. I love the tassels! Ann.

12:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is just simply beautiful!!! The tassels and cording look perfect... clean and simple!! I love it!!

5:23 pm  
Blogger Lelia said...

I enjoyed reading your posts & seeing all your beautiful projects. This set looks wonderful with blue fiber. Excellent choice!! I've kept all the JCS magazines together & figured I'd make all of these one day ... now, I"m beginning to think "blue" ....

TGIF ... enjoy the week-end

5:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger