Merry Cox Needlecase
I have eventually finished my 1st Merry Cox project. This is from a 1997 Just Cross Stitch magazine and is called 'Seek Joy Needlebook' I didn't have any plain fabric suitable for the inside but thought the floral one I have used co-ordinated really well with the colours of the DMC threads, plain silk would have been much better but I don't have the right colour!
I decided to do more accessories to go with this as it was enjoyable to stitch so pictured here is a wooden box I had with the design in the top. This picture also shows the lining fabric I used and the pages with the needle numbers in each corner.
I had wanted to do a little scissor fob to match the set but have had to abandon project as I really need to do 2 teacher gifts by Wednesday night but I will add that later. This shows the last page with the word Sharps onit. I did all the finishing for this by hand as it was not suitable for machine sewing. I do love hand finishing :-)
This picture above shows the back of the needlebook. In doing this I did some new stitches which were the Hedebo buttonhole stitch for the fastener, Nun's Stitch which was used for the edges of the pages and the Closed Herringbone Stitch that was used to edge the needlebook.
The last picture shows the button fastening...I am quite proud it came out the right size for my button. I really enjoyed doing the finishing for this as it was different to anything I have done before. I did attach my miniature needlework with 4 tiny stitches as I didn't have any glue and I have put iron on interfacing on the back as I had no stitch witchery and have never seen it here. The little needlecase (and it is tiny...just over 2"x3")sits nicely in the wooden box with a little pair of scissors.
Now to go and sort out threads and fabric for the teacher gifts I must do...wish me luck to have a turbo needle over the next couple of days!! I do cut things fine for myself...lol...