***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday 7 December 2006

An experiment..........

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI have a piece of 40ct linen which was a white colour and I wanted to stitch a design that needed 40ct cafe kona coloured linen. This count linen is very difficult to get here and if you are lucky enough to find it, it is always a whiteish shade. I was too impatient to wait for an order to arrive from the US so I decided to cut a square from it, big enough for the design and experiment at dyeing it myself. It was very successful so I though I would share with you what I did.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The original colour of the linen

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI got my pan out and into that I put just 3 decent sized teaspoonfuls of instant coffee.

The coffee in the pan

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThen I added some cold water and brought it to the boil.

The boiling coffee water

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingNext I put in the square of linen and stirred it about so it was immersed and boiled it for 10 minutes.

The linen boiling in the pan

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingWhen the 10 minutes were up I moved the pan and carefully holding the linen with a wooden spoon I pored the coffee water down the sink.

Pouring the coffee out

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingNext I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the piece of linen under the running tap till the water ran clear.

Rinsing the linen

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingAs it was a small piece of linen I decided to iron it dry on a clean towel, this picture shows it still wet.

Ironing dry

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThis picture shows it all ironed and dry, the colour is actually very even which did surprise me and I was pleased about that. The actual colour in the end is just slightly lighter than the one above where it is shown still wet.

Ironed dry and finished

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThis picture is to show the comparison of the starting shade and the end result

To show the 2 colours


Photobucket - Video and Image HostingHey presto........Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI have my own cafe kona coloured linen all in about 15 minutes, I was really pleased as the colour is lovely in real life. Now, if I get the time I will show you later today what I stitched on this, if not I will get it on soon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Back soon ;-))

14 Comments:

Blogger Susimac said...

Its great dyeing your own isn't it. Looking forward to seeing what you stitch on it.

4:55 pm  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Susie that is just amazing how well your fabric turned out! I have thought about trying to do that with tea, but the coffee really turned into a really pretty shade!! I can hardly wait to see what you stitch on it!! Good Job!

Debby

4:58 pm  
Blogger Nicole said...

Wow! That's awesome. I've wanted to do that for a long time with a big piece of linen. The color is not right for the project I bought it for (creamy-yellow), and I've always thought it would be so much better coffee or tea-dyed. Thanks for sharing!! :)

4:59 pm  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Oh Helen, I am so sorry, I put in Susie's name in here. I am not awake yet!! I feel so dumb!!! You have done a great job on the fabric here!! Debby

5:00 pm  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Very nice results! I've done this with tea, but I like the color from the coffee better!

8:32 pm  
Blogger Nicki said...

That's come out so well! I've always been a bit afraid I'll ruin a precious bit of fabric trying to dye it, but maybe I should just give it a go! :)

8:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is just perfect!!!! Congratulations for this first try! You can also do it with black tea! ;-D

8:53 am  
Blogger Wendy said...

How cool! I tried that with a very small piece recently and I was amazed at the colour change. I much prefer coffee colours than pure whites any day. And I love my coffee too LOL!

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Helen,
It's come out a really lovely shade and you make it look so easy. I wonder if bunching it up with some small elastic bands in one or two places might give you a varigated look...hmm!
Angela :>)

10:48 pm  
Blogger Von said...

I've tea dyed some lace before and had all kinds of fun. Don't you have a great feeling of satisfaction and joy in having dyed your own fabric - especially when it came out so perfectly!!

1:10 am  
Blogger Anne S said...

Thanks for sharing how easy it is to do the coffee dying too - I have to admit I've been wanting to try this for a while myself, but haven't bitten the bullet yet ... but now I've seen your step-by-step piccies I just might be tempted to give it a go! :D

3:54 am  
Blogger Dianne said...

Aren't you clever! I've never dyed fabrics, but you inspired me. Did you know you can use jello as a dye too?
Also love your ornament-its so sweet and different.

5:58 pm  
Blogger nela said...

Felicidades ha quedado muy bien, tambien puedes intentar con te negro o gelatina

2:51 pm  
Blogger Chelle said...

Thanks for the great instructions! I have a "rescued" stitched piece that needs an intervention and I think coffee dying is going to save it. I'll let you know if I am successful!

12:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger