***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday 28 October 2007

Time flies on by........

It has been some weeks since I have been around in blogging world...September started as I knew it would... as a very busy month. My DD celebrated her 9 years :-)) during the rest of the time so much has happened and I have had no time or feeling to play or stitch! In truth, I have been feeling a bit of everything because of a sadness forced upon us most unexpectedly and suddenly. I have had no energy left over to try to keep up with the blogging/my cyber world as the real world has demanded so much of me. However :) I now feel as if life is little by little getting back to normal, the last 2 nights I have actually slept :) and that now my mind is once more feeling much more my own with a few less demands on it.

To mark this getting back to normal I want to tell you of a little time I have just very much enjoyed...I think you all must know that I love the city of York :-)) My husband and myself celebrated our 11 year anniversary a couple of days ago on 26th October and to mark the occasion we were able to go and spend a child free ( thanks so much Mum & Dad :) time in one of my favourite places. As well as the city itself being a major attraction for me we also pass this small window...it is one of those places that if you notice it...you just have to go in...would you like to come in too?


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


Betty's Tea Rooms are no ordinary cafe and if you are ever near one of the 6 in the North of England you really should take the time to experience it :) They have been open since 1919 and this is my very favourite of them all...although maybe the smallest and most discreet and so easily passed by...however if you do stop to admire the current beautiful window display of cakes and other scrumptious things and pass through the tiny shop itself on your way to the cafe part upstairs...your eyes will immediately fall upon this secret treasure in the hallway...


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Mary Jefferson's Sampler


This is a very old sampler and is one of two matching ones that sit either side of this beauty below which was stitched by a girl of only 9 years old and stitched in 1835... this is clickable for a better view :)


Hannah Hartley Cowgills
Age 9 1835


As you go up the tiny , low, crooked staircase towards your tea-room destination your eyes will immediately fall upon this next treasure that you can see below now...this is so old IRL you can see it is very discoloured with age and practically falling to bits...literally hanging by a thread...even so... very, very beautiful... :-)))


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Mary Smoosmith
Age 13 1811

Turning on the staircase just near the top you will feast your eyes on this last beautiful old, old sampler again stitched by a very young girl.......


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Anne Graham
Age 9 A.D. 1834

Finally you reach the place where time seems to stand still...at least for a little while and all tiredness is forgotten...beautiful food, fresh and dainty is served with simple white china and silver service...you can even still see my tea-pot...yes :-))) I was very pleased with the day !!

Hope you enjoyed it too :-))


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


I have the aim...don't I always?... lol ... of getting things done! I had finished one small gift a few weeks ago along with receiving a small gift or two...I shall keep you waiting to see another time ;-))
Sorry in advance! but I may still not be able to keep up with you all as I take up my needle again to stitch for a class I have in only 3 weeks time...this is exciting for me and I hope to have my stitching done for it, if possible :)) All will be revealed, I hope quite soon :-))

Take care ladies and thank-you so much for the awards I have received recently which are a very special honour, I am thrilled and delighted you have thought of me :-))

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful collection of antique samplers!! The cafe looks so inviting and full of wonderful treasures. What a treat that you shared it with us!

1:00 am  
Blogger Barbara J said...

Good to hear from you again Helen. Thanks you for the amazing pictures of those very old samplers and giving us a shot tour of a lovely cafe. Nothing soothes ones soul more than a simple meal shared with a loved one :)

Take good care of yourself.

2:28 am  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hello Helen,

Thank you for sharing your very special day! The little cafe is delightful looking, and yes, if I passed by I would have to enter.

The samplers are gorgeous, and they must have been so wonderful to see IRL.

Hope things go well for you from now on,
Nancy

3:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Helen - I have been thinking of you. Sorry that the last couple of months haven't been great, I hope things settle down now. Your trip to York sounds lovely :)

8:15 am  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Lovely to hear from you again. Happy (belated) anniversary! York is one of those places ive always wanted to visit but still haven't got round to it yet!
Those samplers are gorgeous...it's amazing they are so old!

8:33 am  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Helen, it's such a delight to see you back! Thank you so much for the email. I've been thinking of you and hoping that you and your family are healing. The photos and story of your anniversary celebration are absolutely lovely - what a magical place this tearoom is!!

Thinking of you, and sending much love!!

9:37 am  
Blogger Nicki said...

How gorgeous! I love Betty's - I've been to the one in Northallerton and it was fantastic with wonderful cakes - though not as cute it seems as the one in York :)

I'm glad you're back and I'm very sorry for your loss. {{{hugs}}}

9:49 am  
Blogger Annemarie said...

You have been missed, Helen!
Thanks for the gorgeous pics from the café! I hope you will have a little more time to pick up your needle and thread now!

11:26 am  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Thank you so much for taking us on the tour of your anniversary trip. What a lovely place! All the samplers are just divine :)
I loved all the pictures.
Take care dear Helen and know that I think of your often!

1:06 pm  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

So good to hear from you Helen. I am sorry you haven't had a happy time lately. (((hugs)))

1:13 pm  
Blogger Sally said...

It's wonderful to see you back Helen. I hope things improve for you from now on.

Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter and Happy Belated Anniversary to you and your DH. York is such a wonderful place. Thank you for sharing the pictures of the beautiful old samplers.

1:14 pm  
Blogger Katrina said...

Love all the pictures and the old samplers are gorgeous. Glad things are getting back to normal for you :-).

1:38 pm  
Blogger Margaret said...

So very good to see you again Helen. I had so missed your posts.

What a lovely time away with DH for your anniversary. I love the way you led us up to the actual tearoom pausing to view these beautiful samplers. The work of these young girls makes my stitching very simple in comparison.

I am so glad you had this lovely trip during a sad time and hope things are happier now.

{{{hugs}}}

2:30 pm  
Blogger Karoline said...

Good to see you back {{{{Helen}}}} I love Little Bettys as well, lovely to see your photo's

5:52 pm  
Blogger Patricia Lessell said...

{{{{Helen}}}} I am really glad to see you back but sorry to hear how sad you have been. I am feeling better and thanks for asking. I went to Betty's a good few years ago in Harrogate, but I wasn't eating real food at the time :( Never mind I shall go again one day and eat some of their delicious food. I really have missed your posting and am really really glad to see you back again in case you didn't get it the first time I said it. Lots of love Patti xxx

6:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so good to read you again
welcome back to the blog world, Helen
big hugs, Eva

7:35 pm  
Blogger Von said...

I'm glad you're beginning to feel a little better and willing to give us such a wonderful peek into one of your favorite spots!
Hugs :)

9:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen,
I'm so glad that you feel able to write your blog again. I'm really sorry for your loss.Like everyone else, I've missed you terribly but, we all have lives with committments, responsibilities and things that happen which over ride our great love of stitching. These have to take priority before we can feed our souls, once again, with what we love :>)
And, talking of love, I really did love the tour of Betty's. I would love to visit one day. What a treat having such beautiful samplers displayed for everyone to enjoy and then to take tea...yum!
I can't wait to see what you have stitched and received. Good luck with your class sttiching :>)
Hugs, Angela

1:06 am  
Blogger staci said...

Welcome back, I've missed your blog entries and have been wondering what you've been up to. So sorry that things weren't going well.

What a darling little cafe and those samplers...I can't believe such young girls stitched such amazing samplers!!! Beautiful!

3:19 am  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Helen, I missed you too. How nice to see you post again. I am glad that things are returning to normal for you. Happy belated Anniversary and thanks for sharing the pictures of the lovely tea roon!

3:47 am  
Blogger Crossed Yarns said...

What a perfect combination-tea and cross stitch! Always look forward to reading your Blog - never ceases to inspire me. Look forward to news about your stitching class.

6:12 am  
Blogger Hazel said...

Good to see you back blogging again! I love York too but have never seen this treasure. You must let me know where exactly it is as it looks like a great place to visit. Those samplers are beautiful. xx

9:52 am  
Blogger Nic said...

Next time I am in York, I will be sure to search out that tea room purely on your recommendation and pictures!

Of course, after being in the Castle Museum and Viking Loom, one needs refreshment! ;o)

12:17 pm  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures with us, Helen! I'm sure we all wish we were there to share this experience with you, but it almost feels as if we were! Happy Anniversary to you and DH and many, many more!!

2:31 pm  
Blogger Wawanna said...

Happy, happpy anniversary! Glad you are back and blogging agan, life is never easy...it truly is like a box of chocolates! Thank you for answering my question. Hope you never have to be so down again. Our 40th is next weekend!

3:02 pm  
Blogger Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

I love Betty's!! I try to visit the one in York whenever I am in England!

4:22 pm  
Blogger Jackie in UK said...

Hello Helen,

It's good to see you back, I hope things continue to improve for you! I have never got further than looking in through the windows of Bettys in York (the shop was closed at the time LOL), so I really enjoyed your tour!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments, I really appreciate it!

Jackie xx

6:42 pm  
Blogger Carla said...

What a lovely place!! Thanks for sharing the photos with us :)

10:22 pm  
Blogger Marie said...

I enjoyed my travels into Little Bettys Cafe, thanks! what a wonderful place with some beautiful needlework!

2:25 am  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh no Helen - I am so sorry to hear you have had unexpected sadness in your life. I hope you and yours are all OK right now. Those samplers are stunning - and happy anniversary to you!

3:46 am  
Blogger Susimac said...

Its ages since I've been in Betty's - I love your photo's of those wonderful samplers

4:14 pm  
Blogger Deb said...

Dearest Helen, How wonderful to be with you on your day seeing all those fabulous samplers and having tea and everything! Thank you for taking me along with you. I'm so happy to see you're feeling better. And you're stitching secret gifties? Good for you. You deserved the Smile Awards, dear Helen. Enjoy your quiet time and just know how very special you are to so many.
Love and hugs,
Deb

9:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger