***HOMESPUN HEARTS***


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday 16 October 2006

Do not disturb....

This is what I stitched for my sisters (Su) birthday, I actually found and bought this chart in the spring-time and had to have it to stitch for Su's birthday as the words were so appropriate :-)) This picture shows the wording and how it's finished :-)





I had set out on the finishing to make this into a small cushion or possibly an ornie, in the end I felt the design was slightly too big (and a bit of a wierd shape on one side) for an ornie to look even and thought a cushion was not really suited to the design. I had bought the backing square whilst on my holidays in Scotland with the intention of using it with this stitched piece, when I had done it.....somehow. This picture shows the reverse of the bag with the said backing square, and again appropriate wording :-)





I must say the bag idea sort of evolved as I was going along (at midnight last Saturday) , I decided to line the bag with some calico that I had and to make a border at the top. I wanted it to look quite primitive, but still feminine, so I added the cream cotton lace flowers to the top edge. I used shop bought cording for the handle/bag strap and attached that with a button to either side of the bag as you can see in this picture





This is stitched on 32ct vintage (light) linen with Cranberry GAST 2 strands for all main wording and the smyrna's (can anybody pronounce that word?) and the darker colour is from a DMC varigated thread and I just used the dark section 2 strands again except the backstitch on sign 1 strand.
Now onto other stitching...not alot to tell, I have not got started on my MC Spool Holder yet :( ...but I have finished another gift :-)).....so here is hoping I can get on with it (Spool Holder) this week.

Thank-you again for the comments you have left me lately..... it makes my day!! Have a great week with happy stitching and I'll be back soon :-)))

21 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

It's beautiful! I saw it on Su's blog too but the backing and the top and cord and buttons show up nicely here and it's so lovely :) Very classic!

3:30 am  
Blogger Leeland said...

Lena Lou, you're the queen of beautiful and inventive finishings! Your blog is a treat!
Take care!

9:49 am  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

That is absolutely gorgeous in every way... As is everything you do, Helen! :)

11:59 am  
Blogger Myrna said...

The bag is great! You are very clever with the finishing...

(And, yes... I know how to pronounce 'Smyrna'! he he he)

Have a great day!

2:14 pm  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Another gorgeous project, Helen :) Congratulations :) And we can all tell that Su loves it :) Well done!

3:29 pm  
Blogger Cindy said...

I like your finishing, Helen. Its so beautiful.

2:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag is just beautiful!!!!!

12:12 pm  
Blogger Annemarie said...

You outdid yourself Helen. Again. It's a gorgeous gift, and Su must be over the moon!

12:41 pm  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Wow, what a great gift! It's so perfect for Su! She must've been thrilled. :)

7:20 pm  
Blogger Katrina said...

what a lovely gift for Su, the finishing is wonderful :)

9:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's stunning Helen. I'll happily send you all my things to finish off too LOL

10:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really lovely. Would you 'knit' me one!! ;-) (People say that so easily don't they, makes you laf, wot a cheek)!!

10:44 am  
Blogger Carol said...

Helen, what a wonderful gift you made for your sis!!!

2:24 pm  
Blogger Margaret said...

What a beautiful bag for your sister. You are very talented!!
Margaret

3:48 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

That is an absolutely lovely bag! Your sister is very lucky to be receiving it.

5:31 pm  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

That little bag is just darling!! You are such a good finisher too. Wish I could learn from you about using the darn sewing machine. Your work is really outstanding!!! Debby

5:44 pm  
Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

So cute!

12:37 am  
Blogger Von said...

Helen your gift to Su is so unique. I wish your angel of inspiration would come sit on my shoulder now and then. :D

5:02 am  
Blogger Meari said...

I have this same chart! Your finishing is just lovely. Well done.

9:57 pm  
Blogger Anne S said...

That's a really beautiful gift you made for Su - great to hear how the finishing all 'happened' :)

2:36 pm  
Blogger Cathy B said...

Very cool - what a nice gift to celebrate Su's birthday!

3:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger